I spent my off day blog surfing and watching Youtube videos when I came across the latest episode of Jay- Z’s Life+Times/ vitaminwater® documentary series “Where I’m From.” This particular episode follows Los Angeles designer Melody Ehsani, and details her views on pushing past your internal fears and uncertainties, and aspiring to do what you truly love.
I’ve been a fan of her work for quite some time now-especially her nail wraps, jewelry, and highly coveted Reebok shoe collections. I find it interesting and inspiring to hear more of her back story. In the video she talks about how she never viewed art as a career option growing up and her plans of going to law school until she had a mental breakdown and discovered product design. If you aren’t familiar she eventually pushed past her family and friends’ doubts, trained herself, and took her small savings to move to China for 3 months to design her first line of shoes which lead to her initial success. While watching the video I couldn’t help but take mental notes. Here are
7 Things I Learned From Melody Ehsani
1. You can make a living off what you love in this world. You have a message. Give it to the world.
2. You have to start somewhere. Do your research and invest the time, effort, and hard work towards your passion.
3. Don’t do what’s considered safe. Just because no one around you has stepped outside the box that doesn’t mean you can’t. Those around you-family included may not understand your path or your passion. Pursue it anyway.
4. It (whatever IT may be) can be done. There’s one person that did it and it doesn’t look like everything else.
5. There’s magic in following your divine blueprint. Believe in what you love.
6. Keep a notebook, pad, or digital device on you at all times to document your current inspirations.
7 .Show up in the world, be authentic to who you are, and do what you truly love to do.
Check out the video and prepare to be inspired.