How To Rock a Red Lip

I’ve secretly admired red lipstick on some of my favorite celebs but for some reason I’ve strayed away from wearing it myself. This past weekend I was in Georgetown shooting street style when my friend mentioned she was on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick. I invited myself to tag along.

First stop was Sephora where I tried on NARS Dragon Girl. After I applied it I just felt silly…I looked at my girlfriendand I said: “I am doing the MOST right now!” Her and two other friends who joined us reassured me that it looked good but I wasn’t convinced. Bold red lipstick was a big step up from my neutral glosses. I quickly removed it and bought some boring Jack Black lip balm. Instead of giving up completely we headed over to the MAC store. Since I admire June Ambrose so much I figured I’d give her signature color Ruby Woo a try. I wasn’t immediately sold but after much self convincing I purchased it.

On my way home I checked Twitter and to my surprise I see twit pics of some of my girlfriends showing off their new Ruby Woo lipstick! I told them it was so ironic because I just bought Ruby Woo as well!

1. Mia (Make-up Artist) MiaandMaki.com 2.Jasmine P. (Jeweler) @jasminepennama| jasminepennamma.com 3. Elle Gee @ellegee47 |www.youngalumnimovement.com 4. Melissa (Vintage Shop Owner) @rifashionme 5. ME  6.Mani | @zuri_one 7. Nik Foster | @thenikkifoster 8. Morg @morganstats 9. Kelz (Model) @kellenicole|  kellenicole.com  10. Toni @antoniathegreat 11. Carmen (Blogger) @godmeandmoney| GodMenAndMoney.com 12.  Siobhan @uuteaeff 13. Jovi (Blogger) @jovizi | jovianzayne.com  Related post: A Little Red Goes A Long Way 14. McGee  @lmoney21

I know some may think, what’s the big deal? It’s just red lipstick..NO its actually much deeper than that. Carmen at GodMenandMoney.com wrote an amazing post –Black Girls in Red Ruby Woo about self acceptance, embracing your features and not becoming a slave to your own insecurities. I realized a part of me cared about what other people would think of me if I wore red lipstick. Well not anymore!

For all the ladies, use #ImREDy on Twitter when you rock red lipstick!

19 Comments

1. 11/17/2011 / 6:07 AM

You are wearing that red lipstick well my love!!

2. 11/17/2011 / 10:49 AM

Looking good girl!

3. 11/17/2011 / 12:38 PM

i feel the same way, going to a party next weekend…im gonna go big! red lips!!! let ya know how it turns out!

4. Candice J
    11/17/2011 / 1:28 PM

Go head girl!

5. 11/17/2011 / 7:00 PM

I used to stray from red lipstick as well but recently started venturing out into red, pinks, and even orange toned colors. I love it, my boyfriend not so much haha. Love the color on you.

6. Tana
    11/17/2011 / 8:52 PM

Great post! I absolutely love a nice red lip! It just screams glamour and confidence! Looks great on you hun! There is no turning back now…HAVE FUN! lol!

7. gina iman
    11/18/2011 / 2:56 PM

Pretty! I just purchased “Such Flare” from the MAC Holiday collections. Heard it was a less drying matte version of Ruby Woo. Love it!

8. 11/18/2011 / 7:48 PM

I already thought this but I’m now really convinced the Rudy Woo is jsut a universal red that looks good on EVERYONE! MAC really got it right with this one.

I was the same way about red lipsticks but now I think it’s so fun!

You look great!!! Keep rockin it!

9. 11/19/2011 / 1:35 AM

Still looking for the perfect red,maybe i should try this…you look amazing!

10. 11/19/2011 / 1:57 AM

I am a new fan of the red lip. I recently tried it and I think I did well.

I love your look. You did well.

11. 11/19/2011 / 2:56 AM

Ooww! You make me want to revist a full on red lip. I usually just blot it on like a stain. Very pretty 🙂

12. Nicole
    11/19/2011 / 11:52 AM

Thanks ladies! I want to try other lip colors as well. I think I will do more beauty posts like this in the future. I just wonder why the men don’t love the red lip as much as we do???

13. 11/19/2011 / 10:51 PM

LOVE the post and am going to See about Ruby Woo. I’m also loving the matte red. Have you checked out MAC Matte Russian Red. It’s fantastic.

14. 11/20/2011 / 11:50 PM

Ladies, please don’t be afraid of reds. It’s all about finding YOUR red! Naseya, love the Ruby Woo. Because of this post, I’m rocking’ a red tomorrow for work! Starting’ Monday Morning off right!! Ciao!!

15. 11/21/2011 / 11:03 AM

Ruby Woo looks great on you! In fact, I think Ruby Woo looks great on our type of skin. It’s just something about it. I had me a RW but it got stolen last year. Haven’t replaced it yet.

16. 01/01/2012 / 1:56 AM

Okay…you’re encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone. Earlier last year, I made a move into colored gloss, i.e. a mere pink, and that was a big leap. Haha! I’ve worn red once in my life and initially hated it but kept it on and after a few hours loved it. I think…I’ll give it a try…soon. 😉

• Nicole